Stanley Gelbier (born November 1935) is emeritus professor of dental public health and honorary professor of the history of dentistry at King's College London. He is a past president of the History of Medicine Society, and the former curator of the British Dental Association's museum.
Early life and family
Stanley Gelbier was born in November 1935 at Clapton Common, Hackney, London. He is Jewish and experienced antisemitism in his youth after the end of the Second World War. He received his dental training at the Royal Dental Hospital (1957-61).
Gelbier was professor and head of the department of dental public health at King's College London from 1990 to 2002. He is now professor emeritus there. Since 2010 he has been honorary professor in the history of dentistry at King's. He is a past president of the History of Medicine Society, and the former curator of the British Dental Association's museum.
Gelbier was appointed assistant curator of the British Dental Association Museum in 1982 and full curator in 1987. He became the first U.K. honorary professor in the history of dentistry. His research has ranged from care of pauper children to the lives and work of leading dentists. His historical writings have covered the British Paedodontic Society, the International Association of Dentistry for Children and the British Society of Oral Health and Disability.
In 2002, Gelbier was awarded the BDA's John Tomes Medal, which honours members of the dental profession and of scientific importance. The BDA later honoured Gelbier with life membership in December 2007. In 2016, Gelbier was presented with the American Academy of the History of Dentistry's Hayden Harris Award by Dr Sheldon Peck.
Gelbier organised the Witness Seminars on the history of dentistry at the BDA as part of the John McLean Archive of Living Dental History, funded by a bequest from the estate of dental pioneer John Walford McLean. Gelbier is the joint editor with Nairn Wilson of the transcripts of all five of the seminars which were published by the BDA in 2014.
In 2015, Gelbier retired after 33 years as deputy and then honorary curator of the British Dental Association Museum. In 2017 he published his autobiography, From Public Health Dentist to Dental Historian.
Witness seminar series
All BDA, London, 2014. Edited by Stanley Gelbier and Nairn Wilson.
- The Regulation of the Dental Profession by the General Dental Council
- The Changes in Dentistry Since 1948
- The Changing Role of Dental Care Professionals
- The History and Impact of Development in Dental Biomaterials Over the Last 60 Years
- The Dental Press
- Introduction to Dental Public Health. FDI World Dental Press, London, 1994. (With M.C. Downer & D.E. Gibbons) ISBN 9780950368757
- "Sydney William Garne LDS RCS FRGS (1875–1946): founding president of the Ceylon Dental Association", Journal of Medical Biography, Vol. 18 (2010), pp. 19–23. DOI: 10.1258/jmb.2009.009092
- "Dental witness seminars: Dentistry in the UK since 1948", British Dental Journal, Vol. 222, No. 3 (February 2016), pp. 133-142. (With N.H.F. Wilson) DOI: 10.1038/sj.bdj.2016.96
- "James Smith Turner (1832–1904) and the British Dental Association", British Dental Journal, Vol. 222, pp. 396–399 (10 March 2017). DOI: 10.1038/sj.bdj.2017.227
- From Public Health Dentist to Dental Historian. Stanley Gelbier, London, 2017.
- Gelbier, Stanley. (2017) From Public Health Dentist to Dental Historian. London: Stanley Gelbier. p. 1.
- Gelbier , 2017, p. 4.
- Dental Institute Alumnus of the Year - Nominations for 2016. King's College London, 25 February 2016. Retrieved 8 February 2018.
- Honorary curator retires. British Dental Journal at nature.com, 15 January 2016. Retrieved 8 February 2018.
- "Support us: Donations - the Gelbier acquisition and conservation fund". www.bda.org. Retrieved 8 February 2018.
- "Stanley Gelbier - Clove Club". www.cloveclub.com. Retrieved 8 February 2018.
- "John Tomes Medal". www.bda.org. Retrieved 9 February 2018.
- "Norman Freedman honoured with award - Dentistry.co.uk". Dentistry.co.uk. 2007-12-03. Retrieved 9 February 2018.
- "What the Lindsay Society does". bda.org. Retrieved 9 February 2018.
- "Introduction to seminar" by Peter Ward in Nairn Wilson & Stanley Gelbier (Eds.) (2014) The Regulation of the Dental Profession by the General Dental Council. London; British Dental Association. p. 4. ISBN 978-1291723861
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Stanley Gelbier.|