COMOX, B.C. – Local firefighters recently took part in a lesson on how to provide first-aid to the furriest members of the family.
Hosted by Comox Fire Rescue, the pet first-aid training session was provided free of charge by the team from Van Isle Veterinary Hospital.
The training included discussions on pet CPR, oxygen treatment, wound treatment, hypothermia, choking and specialized equipment that can be used.
Roughly 50 firefighters attended from several different fire departments in the region.
The training was very informative and well received by the firefighters, according a release from the Comox department.
According to Comox fire chief Gord Schreiner, there has already been talk about having another session for firefighters that could not attend this event.
“Over the years, we have rescued many pets and learning more about how to care for them during an emergency makes a lot of sense,” Schreiner said.
“As always, I am proud of our firefighters for their dedication, their attendance to this training and their work in our community.”
Comox Fire Rescue has carried pet oxygen masks on their fire engines for years and uses them a couple times per year for treatment of pets.