Tribune News Service
Chandigarh, February 18
The UT State Transport Authority (STA) today challaned three school buses without permit in Chandigarh and without proper first aid box today. Four autos were impounded and 21 autos were challaned for different violations under the Motor Vehicle Act.
The officials of STA had inspected the driving licenses, speed governors, fitness certificates, fire extinguishers, first aid boxes, emergency doors, CCTV cameras and lady attendants in each bus. During the inspection, three buses of Ryan International School, Sector 49, having no Chandigarh permit was challaned.
It was also observed that autorickshaws carrying students were overloaded and some of the auto-rickshaw drivers had no valid driving licences, and were also without uniform and without fitness certificate.
A joint team of State Transport Authority (STA) and Chandigarh Commission for Protection of Child Rights (CCPCR) visited Ryan International School, Sector 49 and Government Senior Secondary School, Sector 45 to inspect the mode of transportation opted by the school children in view of safety & security of the children. So far, the Chandigarh Police have also challaned 15 school buses between Jan 27 and Jan February 18.
Notable suggestions by State Transport Authority
Bus operators have been asked to specify seating capacity as per permit and seating capacity as per the RC (1.5 of permit) the height of emergency doors should be made accessible to small children by installing stairs towards the door Keep first aid box with unexpired medicinesParents should not send children to autos beyond the seating capacity of five. Safe Transportation Policy for Students (STRAPS) policy of Chandigarh policy of UT.
Guidelines under ‘STRAPS’ POLICY
- School buses should carry first-aid box and fire extinguisher
- Cameras should be installed by bus owner/operator
- CCTV should have enough memory to record video clips with 3-day backup
- No tinted glass or curtains should be fitted
- Number of children carried shall not exceed 1.5 times the permitted capacity, if their age is below 12 years
- Buses shall have automatic door closure
- Emergency gates are mandatory
- School name/logo should be written on the bus ferrying children Autorickshaws
- Autorickshaws, having a contract carriage permit issued by the STA are allowed to carry 5 schoolchildren
- Both sides of autos must be fitted with horizontal grills/bars/gate for safety of children